Sunday 11 August 2013

Detroit

Detroit, the motor city. I have been thinking about the place a lot over the past few weeks...if not years. All the hopes and dreams of so many are struggling for survival. I heard last week that the holdings of the Detroit Institute of Art are being considered  to deal with the bankrupt situation of the city. In the early 1960's, my mother used to drop my brothers and I off to explore the magic of the place for hours as she was on business elsewhere.  The three boys ran around and chased each other up and down a circular staircase as I gazed at the perfect rooms behind glass that were set up complete with silver tea services and doilies. Did we take in the works of art? By osmosis I suppose. It was a haven for us in a tumultuous world.  Art works and the places in which they are held, mean more to many than one can imagine. I hope that the folks in Detroit persevere through these difficult times. Interesting as they are, urban gardeners cannot save a city in so much debt with no tax base. The grandeur of the capitalist dream gone to prairie. What now?







No comments:

Post a Comment